You may have noticed that legal proceedings with NZ Bus are taking a while. We have too. The Office of Human Rights Proceedings is still reviewing our case, and we’ll update you with news on this matter as early as possible.
In the meantime, we all want to see atheist messages out there in public. To achieve this, we are spending approximately half the donated money – around $10,000 – on a billboard campaign, starting now. This amount will allow for billboards in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. There will also be funds allocated to relocation of these billboards, so that after being up in the main centres they can later be moved to smaller cities relatively cheaply. We’re pleased how the use of billboards allows us to advertise in smaller centres in this way, as so many people asked about this.
The remainder of the money will be saved (with tasty interest accruing) for either a bus campaign once the discrimination proceedings are finalised with NZ Bus, or to fund additional billboards.
We are also pleased to be able to address one of the other most discussed aspects of our campaign – the actual slogan. For the billboards we’ve decided to use new slogans, while retaining the original “No God” slogan as a logo for the campaign. The branding already built up around the “No God” slogan gives us a great opportunity to explore some other catchy phrases that express atheism and get people to stop and think.
But wait, there’s more! We want you to come up with slogans and then vote on the best ones to be used on billboards. Leave comments below on the blog, on the Facebook post, tweet us, or simply email us your ideas for new slogans.
There will also be a billboard generator set up soon so you can see a mock up of how your creation will look as a billboard. We’ll let you know when this is ready.
Here are some potential candidates to get y’all started…
- Over one-third of New Zealanders are good without God. You can be too. [or: Are you good without God? Over a million kiwis are.]
- We need God like a fish needs a bicycle.
- If there was a God, then one of his key mistakes was making me an Atheist. [paraphrased Gervais quote]
- Think Rationally. Accept Evidence. Reject Faith.
- Question everything, including pixies, leprechauns and God.
- We are all Atheists about most religions. Some of us just go one god further. Atheism
- Are you also Agnostic about the existence of Unicorns or Zeus? Get off the fence. Atheism
- When you understand why you dismiss other gods you will understand why I dismiss yours. Atheism
- To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. – Isaac Asimov
- It will yet be the proud boast of women that they never contributed a line to the Bible. – George W. Foote
- Question with boldness even the existence of a god – Thomas Jefferson
- Don’t believe in God? You’re not alone.
- You can be good without God.
- Why believe in God? Just be good for goodness’ sake.
- In the beginning, Man created God.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with…go!